Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Liquor Store Blues

At 6'oclock alarm goes off, I shuffle off to work
So that I can labor for some self-important jerk.
I change into my uniform, just polyester hell
Not only does it look like crap, it also makes me smell.

At 10'oclock we open, the drunks are lined up deep
Their buggies full of empties are enough to make me weep.
A lush has grabbed his vodka, and stumbles to the till
He runs into an end display and trips on his own swill.

His alcoholic perfume, which permeates the air
Isn't as unnerving as his dull and vacant stare.
He pays for his purchase, a penny at a time
And throws in a comment that the price is a big crime.

I nod in his direction, and he staggers to the door
I really don't know how I can take it anymore.
Liquor, liquor, everywhere, but not a drop to drink
This is really hard-earned money, despite what others think.

No comments:

Post a Comment